Saturday, September 1, 2012

An Unexpected Oasis


I spent this past week in an oasis of Catholic goodness with individuals who are inspired to use their written talents to evangelize.  I have returned to life refreshed in multiple dimensions with a clearer perspective on several aspects of my life.  I nearly cancelled my plans to travel to Dallas to attend the Catholic Writers Conference on Sunday.  Why was I flying to this conference in spite of my too many obligations and the sudden news last week that my husband will be unemployed at the end of September?  Can I even call myself a writer? I didn’t have answers, yet boarded the plane on Monday evening.

My “writing” career began three years ago this month.  Ideas for several short stories had been bubbling in my brain and I began to write them.  It took me four months to finish the first and three weeks to finish the seventh.  I took classes at The Writers Center in Bethesda, MD to improve my writing.  In addition to the stories, I’ve written a series of memoir essays and began this blog a year ago.  All of my writing features the beliefs and teachings of the Catholic Church.  So I would call myself a Catholic Writer!  


I encountered liturgy that woke up my mind and my soul, authors who shared their struggles and persevered to become successful, sessions that provided very practical advice on writing, publishing, marketing and encouragement that came in so many different directions.  We were told to “be not afraid” as we share our faith with believers and non-believers. And to give our gift of writing back to the Lord, it is His plan, after all!

Jeff Cavins spoke about the New Evangelization and his new program called Walking Toward Eternity.  Catholic Radio personality Teresa Tomeo shared her experience as an author and as someone who interviews authors. 

I was touched by homilies by Fr. Andrew Apostoli, CFR, co-founder of the Community of the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal and by Bishop Christopher Coyne of Indianapolis. 
Restless Heart, a new film about St. Augustine was screened during the show.  Country singer Collin Raye sang and shared his story.  I met fellow lay Dominicans, have many new friends from around the country and spent time with the Lord in Adoration.  And we prayed, at the beginning of every session, sometimes at the end of the session.

That convention center, being baked by 100 degree temperatures, surrounded by Six Flags, Rangers Stadium and Texas Stadium was a cool place of refreshment this past week.  I’m still not quite sure why I boarded that plane, but I am glad that I did.

Are you are a Catholic writer? You should join us next year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment