Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Lead Kindly Light


I recently heard an excerpt from Lead Kindly Light, a poem by Blessed John Henry Newman.  After reading the reflecting on it, I wanted to share it with you.
Blessed John Henry Newman was born at the beginning of the 19th century and lived until 1890.  He was a well known academic at Oxford and priest of the Church of England (Anglican). At mid-life, after much discernment,  he became Roman Catholic and was ordained a Catholic priest a few years later.  He was an important religious figure in England in the 19th century.  He also was a known literary figure and was named a Cardinal.
I hope you enjoy pondering the poem as much as I did. 



Lead, Kindly Light

Lead, kindly Light, amid the encircling gloom,
Lead thou me on!
The night is dark, and I am far from home,--
Lead thou me on!
Keep thou my feet; I do not ask to see
The distant scene,--one step enough for me.

I was not ever thus, nor prayed that thou
Shouldst lead me on:
I loved to choose and see my path, but now
Lead thou me on!
I loved the garish days, and, spite of fears,
Pride ruled my will: remember not past years.

So long thy power hath blessed me, sure it still
Will lead me on;
O'er moor and fen, o'er crag and torrent, till
The night is gone;
And with the morn those angel faces smile
Which I have loved long since, and lost awhile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment