Monday, June 10, 2013

Half Time


               As my son was driving me to school last month, we began to talk about the end of the school year.  How many days are left, which classes will not have exams, which exams will be the toughest were all topics we discussed. I was being driven to school by my son for the final Sophomore Coffee of the year, and he was at the steering wheel because he has his driving permit.

               At the school, the principal and school counselors ran us through the gamut of end of school activities, the exam schedule and the important dates for the summer.  As a sophomore parent, there weren’t any surprises, only reminders about the variety of activities and due involved in the end of the year.  At one point in the meeting I thought, “It’s almost half time”. 

               Two years ago, we were in the throes of finishing his 8th grade year as we anticipated the transition to high school.  This would be a new venture for our family, since he would be attending an all-boys Catholic school, after nine years of public school.  This meant wearing a uniform, purchasing books and becoming a part of a new community.

               This “half time” summer will be one of exploration and growth.  He will journey to Italy with his Latin Class, serve as a Senior Counselor at the National Zoo’s summer camp, play Legion baseball, travel to Atlanta with his youth group, complete his Eagle project and on Aug 1st begin football practice.  It is a summer packed with activities, but allowing for some leisure to spend with friends and family.

               At “half time”, I’ve taken the time to pause and reflect.  DeMatha Catholic High School and its teachers are truly making my son a “gentleman and scholar”.  He is no longer a boy.  He has plans for his future and is willing to work hard and take risks in order to achieve that future.  He understands that life is full of choices, meaning that a decision to go in one direction will mean giving up going in another direction.  His faith in God continues to grow.  I sometimes marvel that the little boy, born to my husband and me, is now this funny, intelligent, athletic, reverent young man.


               I pray every day for Mary and St. Michael to keep him safe and protect him from evil.  I know of the challenges that face him and yet am confident that he is gaining in the skills that he will need to face the future.  I am grateful for this gift of “half time” to reflect on the gift of being a mother and promise to enjoy this gift each day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment