Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Rudder

Isaiah makes a compelling case for regular reading of the word of God in Chapter 55, verse 10 - 11:
 
"Thus says the Lord: just as from the heavens the rain and snow come down and do not return there will they have watered the earth, making it fertile and fruitful, giving seed to the one who sows and bread to the one who eats, so shall my work be that fores forth fro my mouth; it shall not return to me void, but shall do my will, achieving the end form which I sent it."
 
 
For many years, as a Catholic, I didn't think I needed to read the Bible.  I was getting "fed" though Sunday mass.  Of course I didn't go back during the week to reflect on those readings. As I began going more frequently to daily mass, I enjoyed getting to know the Bible again. (The daily mass readings take you through most of the Bible in two years.)  Yet recently, I realized that I needed more than the  daily short passages from mass and now read the Daily Office, which includes a fairly lengthy reading from the Bible and then a second reading from a Church father or saint.  The longer readings give me a better sense of the context of the scripture.
 
In the Daily Office this morning, St. Cyprian calls the commands from the Gospel "nothing else than God's lessons, the foundation on which to build up hope, the supports for strengthening faith, the food that nourishes the heart. They are the rudder for keeping us on the right course, the protection that keeps our salvation secure."
 
He also makes a compelling case for reading and pondering the sacred Word give to us by our Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment