Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Self Restraint

                The opening prayer for Mass today, Ash Wednesday, is especially compelling:

                Grant, O Lord, that we may being with holy fasting this campaign of Christian service, so that as we take up battle against spiritual evils, we may be armed with weapons of self-restraint.  Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God for ever and ever.

                 Anyone who spends much time in the confessional understands that self-restraint is a major weapon in avoiding sin and the evils that result from sin. How often would I not have to confess a variety of my sins if I would simply use self restraint?

                As I enter this desert that will last forty days, I ask for the grace to be faithful to my Lenten observances, that my suffering will benefit others, that I rejoice in my time of prayer and that I gladly give to those in need.  Let my faith become stronger, my prayers more robust, as I move closer to our Lord.  Let me know that I cannot complete my commitments without relying on my Lord.

                May I understand that I battle against evil each day and my prayers, fasting and almsgiving will strengthen my resolve to choose good.  May I be ever grateful to God the Father for the loving gift of His Son.  May I be thankful to Mary for her willingness to said, “I will”.

No comments:

Post a Comment