Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Who Belongs in Our Guest Room?


               My husband, son and I live in a four bedroom, five bathroom house.  When we purchased the house, my husband and I knew it was very large for our small family, but the price was terrific in an area close to Metro and retail shopping and our church.  For many years, we had two “guest” rooms.  One was more of a sitting room and occasional visits from family and friends would fill one or both rooms.

               Four years ago, my in-laws moved in with us, filling one of those rooms.   As I listen to our Holy Father, I am compelled to make some changes in my life and the life of my family to reach out to those in need. A yearning has been bubbling up in my mind to discover who belongs in our guest room. I hear Pope Francis’ call not to do heroic deeds, but to share what we have with others.  To me, filling that guest room is one way of sharing our excess with someone else.  This desire feels like it comes from the nudging of the Holy Spirit.

               In September, I thought I had an answer.  An acquaintance asked if she could stay with us for a few days.  She was in crisis and needed a place to stay in the DC area.  Via email she was so appreciative.  Little did she know that I was hoping to have someone fill that room.  She rescheduled her visit a number of times, indicating how much her life was in flux. Eventually, she decided to move back to her home city for a few months.  And our guest room remained empty.

               I saw on Facebook that a friend who is living in the mid-west became a friend of a page called Catholics looking for roommates in DC.  So I sent her a message, offering the room to her if she was moving back to the area.  But she said she is happy where she is and thinks that is where God wants her to live for some time.

               A couple of weeks ago, my brother called and the business he was working for closed.  For an instant, I was hopeful that he might be our new resident.  But he is headed back to Michigan, where we grew up.  He might be visiting for a few days, but not anytime soon.


               And so I’m back to square one, thinking that that room is meant for someone.  It occurs to me that God must be pleased with the desire to share the excess that we have with others.  And it is time to take this to prayer and understand if this desire is the prodding of the Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment