Monday, October 14, 2013

Who is Pope Francis?


               Recently, I was invited to speak with a reporter of a major newspaper about Pope Francis.  It gave me the opportunity to think about my thoughts of Pope Francis and his papacy.  Initially, I must say that thinking about Pope Francis makes me miss Pope Benedict.  I miss his writings and his German accent and his very logical and thoughtful way of teaching me about why I believe what I believe. 

               Because of where I am in my faith journey, I am paying much more attention to the early homilies, writings and talks of Pope Francis than in the early days of Pope Benedict XVI’s papacy.  I didn’t really have a sense of who Pope Benedict was until he visited Washington DC in 2008.

               The reference of Pope Francis in Mass no longer jars and I recognize his face.  I find many important similarities between our 265th and 266th Popes.  They both have a great love and dedication to Mary, the Mother of God, seeing her as the perfect creature.  They try to imitate her humility and ask for her protection.  They have deep, intimate relationships with Jesus and pray often, perhaps almost constantly to the Holy Spirit for guidance in all that they do.  And they have a deep desire for all souls to be saved, and for all to know and understand the peace that comes with putting God first.

               Of course there are many differences.  Pope Francis is a man who has been working in the trenches who has now been called to lead the Roman Catholic Church.  I can only admire the way his has decided to continue to live simply even within the Vatican walls.  Unlike Pope Benedict, who was a professor and a writer, I see Pope Francis as a man who is more comfortable with conversation and intent on conversion of those with whom he comes into contact. 

               He sees each individual, not with a label, but as a person created uniquely by God for a specific purpose. My sense is that there is urgency in his life to bring each person with whom he has contact closer to God.  He has that burning desire for salvation of souls and that is what is driving his Pontificate, not protocol or procedure.

               Because of his work in the trenches, he understands the corporeal works of mercy as being essential to the spread of the Gospel.  He recognizes that reaching out to the poor, elderly, disabled, homeless and “getting our hands dirty”[i] is an essential part of our salvation. (“As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.”)[ii]   

               It has only been six months since he began this journey as Pontiff and I am inclined to watch and learn, not jump to conclusions or judge.  Who is Pope Francis?  I don’t yet know, but he is challenging me on this journey.  Look for more thoughts from the interview in future blogs.
              




[i] From Pope Francis’ Tweet on Sept 13 - #PopeFrancis: want to help the poor? don't be afraid to get your hands dirty
[ii] James 2:26

No comments:

Post a Comment